Outcome predictors from NIPPV in acute respiratory failure

Rao, B.K.; Sharma, S.C.; Singh, Vinod Kumar and Gupta, Rakesh (2002) Outcome predictors from NIPPV in acute respiratory failure. In: Critical Care Session, National Conference on Pulmonary Diseases (NAPCON), Jaipur, India.

Full text available as:

PDF - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF viewer.
17 Kb

Abstract

Background: The use of NIPPV has become more widespread over the past decade but its prescription, use and outcome in clinical setting remains uncertain with reported failure rate of 5 to 50 percent. Patient with high like hood of failure should be spared from the trial of NIPPV and intubation should not be delayed. The aim of this study is to assess the rate of failure and possible associated predictive factors for this failure. Study Design: Total 50 consecutive patient with acute respiratory failure were included in this observational cohort study in a 500 bedded tertiary care hospital. 74 percent patients on NIPPV had subjective & objective improvement. Remaining 26 percent (13 patients) either did not improve or deteriorated on NIPPV. Low initial arterial pH, associated medical complications and Low ADL score were found predictors of subsequent outcome. Conclusion: NIPPV is less likely to be successful in patient of acute respiratory failure with severe acidosis, poor functional status and associated medical complications.

EPrint Type:Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Uncontrolled Keywords:NIPPV, Respiratory Failure, Intubation, Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation, Tertiary Care Hospital
Subjects:Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases > Metabolic Diseases > Acid-Base Imbalance
Respiratory Tract Diseases > Respiration Disorders > Respiratory Insufficiency
Respiratory Tract Diseases > Respiration Disorders
Persons > Patients
Therapeutics > Respiratory Therapy
-Institutional Repositories > Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi
Health Care Facilities, Manpower, and Services > Health Facilities
ID Code:2406
Deposited By:Sir Ganga Ram Hospital
Deposited On:16 October 2007

Archive Staff Only: edit this record