Brief communication: recurrent brain meningiomas

Guarnaschelli, John J. and Stawicki, S. Peter (2008) Brief communication: recurrent brain meningiomas. OPUS 12 Scientist, 2 (2). pp. 32-34. ISSN 1940-8633

Full text available as:

PDF (Portable Document Format) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF viewer.
170 Kb

Abstract

Meningiomas constitute the second most common type of central nervous system neoplasm. Overall, these tumors represent approximately 14-30% of all central nervous system neoplasms. Brain meningiomas are usually benign. They arise from the intracranial and spinal meninges and their dural extensions. When grouped according to the WHO classification, approximately 80% of meningiomas are Grade I (benign), with the remaining 20% being either Grade II (atypical) or Grade III (malignant) lesions. The recurrence rate of meningiomas varies from 4% to 50% depending on the tumor grade, completeness of resection, and other clinical, pathologic, and radiographic factors. The authors present their experience with 333 operative cases of brain meningioma treated over a period of 25 years. This brief communication concentrates on the description of the patient subset with recurrent meningiomas. Citation: Guarnaschelli JJ, Stawicki SP. Brief communication: Recurrent brain meningiomas. OPUS 12 Scientist 2008;2(2):32-34. Keywords: Meningiomas, Electron microscopy, Light microscopy, Brain tumors, Tumor recurrence, Risk factors, Predictors of recurrence.

EPrint Type:Article
Uncontrolled Keywords:Meningiomas, Electron microscopy, Light microscopy, Brain tumors, Tumor recurrence, Risk factors, Predictors of recurrence.
Subjects:-Journal Repositories > OPUS 12 Scientist
Immunologic and Biological Factors > Biological Factors > Biological Markers > Tumor Markers, Biological
Nervous System Diseases > Central Nervous System Diseases > Brain Diseases
ID Code:2909
Deposited By:Dr S. Peter Stawicki
Deposited On:09 June 2008

Archive Staff Only: edit this record